Friday 13 November 2015

Angling on the BBC

Sorry for the quietness of late apart from a piking session earlier in the year I've barely wet a line due to being busy with filming (can't moan!) I'm hoping to get a fly fishing session in before christmas and small river chub fishing which has to be among my favourite angling techniques.

16lb Pike from Grantham Canal

Now I'm sure a few of you would of seen the recent BBC Angling Series 'Earth's Wildest Waters: The Big Fish' Its great to see angling back on the BBC for a full series the last one I remember is The Accidental Angler which was a great mini series.

Those of you used to Matt Hayes stuff on Discovery Shed or Quest will be in for a shock as this show is less heavy on the rigs and more about the people behind the rod and rightly so as the sort of shows more hardcore anglers like would never take off on terrestrial TV. Its got a bake off style to it and thats no accident as its the same producer! I think it juggles the mixture of actual angling and competition element quite well and have to say I did rather enjoy the series (despite not being picked as a cameraman!) 

Matt, Me & George

Matt comes across knowledgeable if a little under used but at the end of the day the show is about the contestants. I've had the pleasure of working with Matt and he's a genuine and friendly chap.

Lets hope its the start of something and see a few more fishing shows on the BBC though a UK one would be great to see. I don't think we'll ever see anything like A Passion for Angling again but in a way sometimes its best to leave things alone especially when you think how much angling and the UK's rivers have changed since it aired in the early 90's.

No comments:

Post a Comment